Aston Joshua Nathan(PhD (Law), PGDFM, DMC, DCL, LLM (UK), LLB, B.A.)
Dean, Students' Welfare & Assistant Professor of Law and OSD (Office of Director) Phone : (+91) - 79-23276611/23276612
Mobile : (+91) - 8511188724
Fax : (+91) - 79-23276613
Email : email@example.com
Conferences/ Seminar Attended / Participation / Papers Presented :
Conference(s) Attended / Participated:
- Participated in a one week Faculty Development Programme organized by Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar at its campus from 16th May 2016 - 21st May 2016.
- Attended the Asia - Pacific Law Deans Forum organized by the International Association of Law Schools and the Chinese University of Hong Kong from 7th April 2016 to 10th April 2016 at Sha Tin, Hong Kong.
- Plenary Speaker at the 5th International Conference on Building Community Resilience for Sustainable Development. Presented Paper on 'Advocacy for Building Community Resilience for Sustainable Development' 5th International Conference on Building Community Resilience for Sustainable Development held at BPHES' CSRD Institute of Social Work and Research Ahmednagar from 19th Feb 2016 to 21st Feb 2016.
- Presented Paper (in absentia) entitled 'Regulating Media in the context of Under Cover Operations in India' at the International Conference on Media and Law: The Contemporary Challenges and Strategies organized by Amity Law School, Center II on 1st October 2015.
- Presented a paper entitled 'Human Trafficking and Its Prosecution: Challenges of the ICC' at the UGC Sponsored National Seminar on "NEW DIMENSIONS OF LAW IN 21st CENTURY" on 17th and 18 January 2015 at the School of Law, Gujarat University.
- Presented Paper entitled 'Human Trafficking and Human Rights: Need for an Effective Legal Response' at the International Conference on Contemporary Issues and Challenges of Human Rights in the Era of Globalization organized by Gujarat Law Society on 2nd and 3rd August 2014. Awarded the 'Best Paper Award' by the Gujarat Law Society
- Presented Paper entitled 'Sting Operations: An Ethicolegal Perspective' at the Lux et Veritas, National Seminar on Media and Law organized by the Faculty of Law, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda on 7th and 8th March 2014.
- Participated in a Symposium on Nuclear Energy, Technology, Safety and Environment organized by Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University, Gandhinagar on 6th Jan 2014.
- Participated in the 20th Anniversary Lecture of the Indian Maritime Foundation on 'The Navy's Role in the Maritime Defence of India in the Next Decade' by Rear Admiral R.M. Purandare, Flag Officer, Defence Advisory Group, Indian Navy on 22nd Dec 2013 in Pune.
- Attended Global Conference on Justice for All- The International Criminal Court - A Conference: A Ten Year Review organized by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences and the Australian Human Rights Centre of the Faculty of Law, University of New South Wales at Sydney Australia from 11 Feb 2012 - 17 Feb 2012.
- Attended National Consultation on Current Challenges and Reforms in Civil and Criminal Justice Deliverance System held at Symbiosis Law School, Pune on 28 January 2012.
- Attended International Global Conference on Maritime Security and Anti Piracy organized by Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar from 24th November 2011 - 28 November 2011.
- Attended Seminar on "Cyber Attack 2011" organized by Asian School of Cyber Laws, Pune on 19 November 2011.
- Participated in the Seminar on Fundamentals of Labour Laws organized by Satvam Consulting Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai on 21 September 2011.
- Attended Faculty Development Seminar by Ms. Bethany Hanson, Scholar in Residence, University of Missouri, Kansas City School of Law, USA on Juvenile Justice Systems on 13 Sept 2011.
- Attended National Symposium on "Socio-Legal Dimension of Live-In Relationships: Case of D Velusamy vs. D. Patchaiammal Revisited", organized by Symbiosis Law School, Pune on 27 August 2011.
- Presented a Paper entitled 'Meaningful Legal Education in the 21st Century' at the National Conference organized by the All India Law Teachers Congress, New Delhi, 11th -12th June 2011.
- Participated in the National Conference on Enhancing Human Resource Development through Excellence in Education organized by Centre for Education beyond Curriculum, Christ University, Bangalore, February 2011.
- Attended Faculty Development Programme on 'Leadership, Motivation and Talent Management' organized by Symbiosis International University, Pune, January 2011.
- Attended International Conference on Internationalization of Higher Education with Special Reference to Management Education, organized by Symbiosis International University, October 2010.
- Participated in the Seminar on "Protection of Women" under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005 organized by A.B.M.S. Parishad's Yeshwantrao Chavan Law College and University Grants Commission in Pune in August 2010.
- Participated in the International Conference of Judges and Law Academics on Access to Justice, Legal Education, and understanding Incubator organized by Symbiosis International University in collaboration with Community Legal Resource Network, CUNY School of Law, USA, August 2010.
- Attended 'European Convention on Human Rights' organized by the University of Nottingham, UK in Nov 2006.
- Participated in the Seminar on 'Japanese Maritime Security' organized by the Indian Maritime Foundation, January 2004 in Pune.
- Participated in the Seminar on 'Maritime Vision - 2027' organized by the Indian Maritime Foundation, April 2003 in Pune.
- Participated in the Seminar on 'Terrorism and Piracy at Sea' organized by the Indian Maritime Foundation, May 2000 in Pune.
Training Programme / Workshop / Short-term courses :
Training Programme(s) Attended :
- Certificate Course(s) Conducted/Offered: Certificate Course on 'The Fundamental Understanding of the Indian Contract Law' as Principal Course Coordinator, from 3rd October 2015 to 5th October 2015 on the University campus. Besides GNLU students, participants were from law as well as non law background.
- Certificate Course(s) Conducted/Offered: Certificate Course on 'International Contracts': conducted this Certificate Course, as the Associate Course Coordinator, from 21 November - 23 November 2014 on the University campus. Besides GNLU students, participants were from law schools outside the State of Gujarat.
- Programme coordinator for First Aid Training Course organized by Rashtriya Life Saving Society of India, Pune on 2nd and 3rd September 2015 at GNLU.
- Programme Coordinator for Management Development Programme for the Executives of Power Grid Corporation of India on 'Law Relating to Right of Way and Payment of Compensation, Land Acquisition for Public Purpose' from 23 Sept 2014 - 25th Sept 2014 at Gujarat National Law University.
WorkShop Attended / Short-Term Courses :
- Attended the UGC sponsored 159th Orientation Programme organized by the HRDC Centre, Savatribai Phule Pune University from 1st December 2015 to 28th December 2015 and obtained Grade 'A'.
- Attended a Workshop for the launch of the Australian Governments New Colombo Plan on 4th September 2014 at the University of Mumbai.
Publication(s) / Book(s) :
Publication / Books:
- Book on 'Trafficking of Women and Children - Article 7 of the Rome Statute (1st edn., Oxford University Press) ISBN 978-0199468171.
- Book Chapter 'Violence against Women and Gender Justice: A Human Rights Perspective' published in Women Violence and Law: An Intimate Interrogation Open Distance Paradigm (ISBN - 978-93-82112-24-2), published by Netaji Subhash Open University, Calcutta in 2016.
- Book Chapter 'Policing in India, Politicization of the Indian Police System and Safeguarding the Human Rights' published in Terrorism, Its Legal Framework and Beyond'. (ISBN - 978-93-843705-2-7) published by Manakin Press, New Delhi in 2016
- Published article entitled Restructuring Legal Education System in India' on May 07, 2016, in the Column 'From a Legal Perspective' on page 2 of DNA, City & After HRS Ahmedabad.
- Published article entitled 'Gurukul vs Kulguru: Modifying the education system' on March 19, 2016, in the Column 'From a Legal Perspective' on page 2 of DNA, City & After HRS Ahmedabad.
- Edited a book entitled 'Identifying and Comparing the Trends in International Contract Laws and Probing the Critical Issues for Multinational Contracting Parties' published by Gujarat National Law University in collaboration with Oil and Natural Gas Corporation of India in January 2016. (ISBN 9789384936020)
- Published an article entitled 'Electronic Contracts-Protection of the Rights and Interests of the Consumers' in AAGAM International Journal of Humanities, Social Sciences, Management and Technology in September 2015. (ISSN: 2454-1567)
- Published an article entitled "Human Trafficking and its Prosecution: Challenges of the ICC" in the Journal of The Gujarat University in March 2015. (ISSN 23211520)
- Edited a book entitled 'International Contracts: Jurisdictional Issues and Global Commercial and Investment Governance' published by Gujarat National Law University in collaboration with Oil and Natural Gas Corporation of India in Dec 2014.(ISBN 978-93-84936-01-3)
- Published the 1st Newsletter (An initiative of the GNLU - ONGC, SRAG) entitled 'Contracting Across Countries' under the prestigious GNLU - ONGC Research Scholarships in International Contracts in August 2014.
- Published a Short Note for an article entitled 'Supreme Court to the Rescue of Husbands Family' in FLAIR TALK Volume 1, Issue 7, ISSN 23496649.
- Published an Article entitled 'Need for Piracy Legislation in India' in the 'Lighthouse', a Journal of OSI under the aegis of the Indian Maritime Foundation, Issue 7, April 2014.
- Published an article entitled 'A Continuing Maritime Boundary Dispute: India and Bangladesh' in 'Seagull' the Journal of the Indian Maritime Foundation, Vol. 18, No 76, February 2014.
- Published an article entitled 'The Dilemma of Enforceability of the Armed Conflict Laws' in SSRN - Cultural Anthropology e-Journal and the Social and Political Philosophy e-Journal in Feb 2014.
- Published an article entitled 'Women, Violence and Gender Justice: A Human Rights Perspective' on SSRN - Women, Law and Human Rights e-Journal in 2013.
- Published an article entitled "Victims of Human Trafficking: A Human Rights Perspective" on SSRN - International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal, Human Rights and the Global Economy e-Journal, Women, Law & Human Rights e-Journal and Law & Society: International and Comparative Law e-journal in 2013, Political Economy: International Political Economy e-Journal and Social & Philosophy e-Journal in March 2013. [Rated as SSRN's Top Ten Downloaded Article]
- Published an article entitled "Admissibility and the International Criminal Court" on SSRN - International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal, Legislation & Statutory Interpretation e-Journal, Law & Society: Legislation e-Journal, Political Institutions: International Institutions e-Journal, Philosophy of Law e-journal in March 2013
- Published an article entitled 'Abolishment of Human Trafficking: A Distant Dream' on SSRN - International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal, Human Rights and the Global Economy e-Journal, Law Society: International & Comparative Law e-Journal and International Political Economy e-Journal in July 2012.
- Published an article entitled 'Narco-Terrorism - A Critical Study' on SSRN - International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal, Asian Law e-Journal and Conflict Studies e-Journal in February 2013. [Rated as SSRN's Top Ten Downloaded Article]
- Published an article "Nuremberg Trials in the Development of International Criminal Law" in Symbiosis Contemporary Law Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 1, 2012 published by Lexis Nexis (ISBN 978-81-8038-840-8).
- Published an article entitled 'Nuclear Applications- Law on Civil Liability for Damage' in the All India Reporter June 2012, Vol 99 - Part 1182.
- Published an article entitled 'Indian Police System' in Nirma University Law Journal (ISSN 2249-1430) Vol. 1, Issue 2 January 2012.
- Published an article "Genesis of International Criminal Law" on SSRN - International, Transnational & Comparative Criminal Law e-Journal, Public International Law e-Journal and Legal History e-Journal in September 2011.
- Published an article on "Jewish Criminal Justice in Ancient Israel" in All India Reporter 2011 Cr LJ Sept 261.
- Published a Book entitled 'Restructuring The Indian Police System: Need For Accountability and Efficiency' (ISBN-13: 978-3847313991) by Lambert Academic Publishers, Germany
Research / Area of Interest :
Areas of General Interest:
- International Criminal Law
- Human Rights Law
- Law of Contract
- Trustee and Member of the Governing Council, BPHE Society's' Ahmednagar College, Center for Studies in Rural Development, Institute of Social Work and Research and Institute of Management Studies, Ahmednagar, Maharashtra
- Member, GNLU Examination Committee (2014 - 2015)
- Member, GNLU - Indian Legal History Museum Council (2014 - 2015)
- Member, Committee on Recruitment Affairs (CRA),Gujarat National Law University (2014 - 2015)
- Member, Research Council, Gujarat National Law University (2013 - 2015)
- Member, GNLU Students Disciplinary Committee (2015)
- Member, Indian Sea Cadet Corps
- Member, Indian Maritime Foundation
- Member, National Life Saving Society of India
- Member, Art of Living Foundation
- Member of the All Indian Human Rights Association
- Member of the Editorial Board, All India Law Teachers Congress
- Sussex Representative, School of Law, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK (2007-2008)
- Member of the Students Council, Nowrosjee Wadia College (2001-2002)
Teaching / Academic Experience :
- Over 5 years of teaching Law
- Over 13 years of teaching Nautical Subjects
Awards Received / Achievements :
- Awarded the Israeli Government Scholarship for Research in Comparative Studies at Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv, Israel by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Israel, (2012-2013)
- Awarded the Sir Ratan Tata Travel Grant of Rs 85,000/- to attend Global Conference on Justice for All- The International Criminal Court - A Ten Year Review, organized by the University of New South Wales, Sydney Australia from 11 Feb 2012 - 17 Feb 2012.
- Special Award Certificate for Value Consciousness and Constructive Leadership, 2010- Symbiosis Law School, Pune
- Awarded the Chancellors International Scholarship of 2200GBP, by the University of Sussex, Brighton, United Kingdom in 2006
- Awarded Special Certificate of Merit for standing fifth in the University of Pune at the Bachelor of Law Examination in 2006
- Awarded Certificate of Merit for participating in the Late P B Gajendragadkar Intercollegiate Moot Court Competition conducted by the Department of Law, University of Pune in 2005.
- Awarded Certificate of Merit for Outstanding and Dedicated Service and Profound Commitment to Marine Environment from Ocean Conservancy, Texas, USA in 2003
- Received Life Saving Certificate from National Life Saving Society at the hands of Rear Admiral P D Sharma AVSM, NM in 2002
- Awarded The Late Shri R. V. Ghaisas Prize for being adjudged All Round Best NCC Cadet and the Best Cadet Trophy at the hands of Major General Lalit Chopra, Chief of Signals, Southern Command at the NCC Day celebrations in 2001
- Awarded Akolkar Sednur Prize for student possessing Qualities of Value Consciousness and Constructive Leadership at the hands of Mr. Madhav Rao Sanap, Deputy Commissioner of Police at the College Gymkhana Day celebrations in 2000
- Awarded Certificate of Merit from Indian Red Cross Society in 2000
- Awarded The Best Cadet Trophy at the hands of Admiral J G Nadkarni AVSM, PVSM, NM, VSM, ADC, Former Chief of the Indian Naval Staff in 2000
- Received Certificate of Appreciation from the Government of the State of Maharashtra at the hands of Additional Commissioner of Police, Mr. M S Mahesh Gauri in 2000 for delivering excellent service during Lok Sabha elections in Pune
- Received the Best Cadet Commendation Award of 3 Mah Naval Unit NCC, Pune at the hands of Group Commander, Colonel C V Mohan in 1999
- Awarded Gold Medal at the NCC Day celebrations, Nowrosjee Wadia College, Pune, 1999 for being adjudged the Best Naval Cadet
- Passed 'A', 'B' and 'C' Certificate Examinations (Naval Wing, National Cadet Corps) under the authority of the Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
Work Experience :
- Visiting Faculty, Indian Institute of Advanced Research, Gandhinagar.
- Assistant Professor and Deputy Director, Symbiosis Law School, Pune
- Visiting Faculty - SP College, Pune
- Visiting Faculty- Kirloskar Institute of Advanced Management Studies, Maval, (MS) India
- Visiting Faculty, SNBP Law College, Pimpri, (MS) India
- Advocate - Jain Kinker and Co, Pune
- Officer in the Royal Naval Reserve, Brighton, UK
Last Updated : 15-09-2016