Gandhi M.Honorary Professor Phone : (+91) - 79-23276611/23276612
Mobile : (+91) -
Fax : (+91) - 79-23276613
Email : email@example.com
Conferences/ Seminar Attended / Participation / Papers Presented :
Paper(s) Presented :
- Panelist in the International Conference organized by the Asian African Legal Consultative Organization on Emerging Trends in Law of the Sea and presented a paper: Redefining the Scope of Preservation and Protection of Marine Environment in the area beyond national jurisdiction in the light of sustainable development imperatives, 24th November, 2006.
- Panelist in the International Conference on Maritime Freedom and Security organized by the Maritime Foundation and presented a paper: Security of the Marine Environment, Bombay 12th January 2007.
- Delivered a Lecture on "Traditional and Modern Approaches to the implementation of Human Rights Standards" in the School of Indian Legal Thought, Kottayam, on 4th January, 2007.
- Delivered a Lecture on "Legal aspects of Treaty making" in the National University of Advanced Legal Studies, Kochi, Kerala on 5th January, 2007.
- Delivered Silver Jubilee Endowment Lecture on Environmental and Pollution Law on 23rd April 2008, Dr. Ambedkar Government Law College Pondicherry.
- Panelist in "Growing Role and Influence of International and Foreign law on Indian Court" and spoke on "The Impact of International law on Indian Court" in the Judicial Education conference meant for the High Court Judges, National Judicial Academy, Bhopal 9-11 May 2008.
- Lectured on "International criminal tribunals and ICC " during the South Asian Teaching Session on Humanitarian Law organized by ICRC in Bangalore (2007) and Vishaka Patnam (2008)
- Presented a paper entitled "Development of International law since the Second World War: Reflections on Development, Non-development, underdevelopment and skewed development in international law" , 37th Annual Conference of the Indian Society of International Law,29 March 2008.
- Delivered a key note address on "National Security and Maritime Law" during the session on Legal Regime of Sea, Antarctica, Air and Space during the 7th International Conference organized by the Indian Society of International Law, 16 January 2010.
Publication(s) / Book(s) :
Publication / Books:
- Case Laws under Indian Constitution in Vol. XIX, Indian Year Book of International Affairs. (1986) pp. 551-592.
- A Book Review in Vol. XIX, Indian Year Book of International Affairs, (1986) pp. 680 -682.
- "Promotion of Human Rights through Policy Implementation: Employment of Policy and Right to Work", Vol. IV. Law and Social Problems (1986 ? 87) pp. 64-76.
- Co-author of a Text Book: "Legal Language and Legal Writings", for second year students of five-year law course. Pondicherry, Prabha Publishers, (1988). Now in third edition.
- Contributed more than 25 articles on International Law in TAMIL ENCYCLOPEDIA, Published by Tamil University, Thanjavur.
- Co-authored a text book: INTRODUCTION TO LEGAL METHOD & LEGAL RESEARCH, Pondicherry, Prabha Publishers, (February 1992)
- Right to Development as a Right to Equal Resources (Chapters 2-3) in Subrata Roy Chowdhury. Eric. M.G. Denters and Paul J.M. Dewaart (eds.) RIGHT TO DEVELOPMENT IN INTERNATIONAL LAW, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands (1992) pp. 139-143.
- "Dunkel Draft Text and Its Impact on India with Reference to Legal Regime", in S.B.R.R.M Journal of Law, Vol. 1. No. 1. (March 1994).
- Relationship between Discussions in the Bio-Safety Negotiations and work undertaken in relation to Article 14 of CBD, published by The European Commission and the Government of United Kingdom (1998).
- Trade and Environment, Report of the Seminar relating to certain aspects of the functioning of the WTO settlement mechanism and other allied matters, Asian-African Legal Consultative Committee. New Delhi, India, (November 1998) pp.111-115.
- "Common article 3 of the Geneva Conventions, 1949 in the era of International criminal Tribunals". Vol.1, ISIL Year Book of International Humanitarian and Refugee Law, (2001), pp 207-218.
- Towards a Liability regime in Bio safety protocol in R.K.Dixit and C Jayaraj (ed.) DYNAMICS OF INTERNATIONAL LAW IN THE NEW MILLENIUM (New Delhi. ISIL) (2004.)
- "State Responsibility and International Environmental Law" in Bimal N Patel (ed.) INDIA AND INTERNATIONAL LAW, Martinus Nijhoff, Leiden/Boston, (2005), pp. 223-247.
- Recipient of L.C. Miller Gold Medal for best performance in M.L. Degree Examinations of University of Madras. (First Class, First.) May1981.
- Recipient of A.L. Mudaliar Prize for best performance in M.L, Degree Examinations, May 1981.
- Madras University Research Fellow, Department of Legal Studies, 1983.
- Underwent a course in Legal Advice and International contracts under Colombo Plan in the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London, UK, and March ? April 1997.
- UNITAR Fellowship for the participation in the workshop for Asia-Pacific Region on Integrated Conservation and Development Planning: The Role of Multilateral Agreements Related to Biodiversity, Kushiro, Japan, August ? September 1999.
- UNITAR Visiting Fellow to Columbia Law School, New York, spring 2005.
- M.A. (Political Science), M. L. (International and Constitutional Laws), Ph. D. (International and Constitutional Laws).
- 31 years of experience in various capacity i.e. Practicing Lawyer, Research Scholar, Law Teacher, Legal Expert, Legal Advisor, International Negotiator, Administrator of the Government Department.
- Experience includes variety of assignments such as, University work such as Curriculum Development, Conducting Examinations, Organizing International Conferences, and Expert Meetings, Workshop and Liaison with Government and Foreign Universities, Financial administration, Staff Recruitment, Public Relations, and Student Relations.
- Excellent exposure in the workings of the reputed foreign law schools, such as Institute of Advance Legal Studies, University of London, UK and Columbia Law School, New York.
- Currently, Director, Legal & Treaties Division, Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi.
Other Accomplishments :
- 57th, 58th, 59th, and 60th Sessions of the General Assembly of the United Nations, New York.
- Commonwealth Law Minister?s Conference in St. Vincent & Grenadines, 2002.
- Meetings of the States Parties to the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, New York, 2002-2006
- Annual Assembly Meetings of the International Seabed Authority, Kingston, Jamaica, 2002-2006.
- Elected Member of the Financial Committee of the International Sea bed Authority, Kingston, 2002-2006
- 38th, 39th, 40th, and 46th Sessions Legal Subcommittee of the UN Committee on Peaceful Uses of outer Space, 1999-2001 and 2007.
- Member of the Indian delegation to Conference of Parties to Convention on Conventional Weapons, Geneva, 2009.
- Member of the Working group 2 (legal issues) of the contact Group established by the Security Council to deal with the Piracy Off the Coat off Somalia, 2009-2010 Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Expert member, Meeting of the International Expert Group Workshop on International Environmental Law Aiming at Sustainable Development, organized by UNEP at Washington D.C, 13 - 15 November 1995.
- Expert member, Meeting of the Working Group to discuss the Role of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in resolving International Environmental Disputes held at the Peace Palace, The Hague, the Netherlands, June 1996.
- Represented India in the International Seminar, organized by UNHCR/AALCC on the 30th Anniversary of Bangkok Principles, Philippines, Manila, December 1996.
- Acted as resource person, on the invitation from the Government of Sri Lanka, in the SAARC Workshop on Bio-technology and Meteorology, Colombo, Sri Lanka, February 1998
- Member, Expert Group Meeting on "Refugee Issues" organized by AALCC and Government of Iran, Tehran, June 1998.
- Panelist, International Workshop on Liability and Redress Issues Arising in Relation to the Draft Bio-safety Protocol, on the invitation extended by the European Commission and the Government of United Kingdom held in London from 30 June ? 2 July, 1998.
- Legal Expert to the Informal consultations on Liability and Registration Conventions on Outer space, Bonn, December 1998.
- Resource person in UNITAR/KIWC Training Workshop for the Asia-Pacific Region on Integrated Conservation and Development Planning: The Role of Multilateral Agreements Related to Bio-diversity held in Kushiro, Japan,. 28- August - 2 September 1999.
- Government?s Legal Expert to the Seminar on "Development of Legal Framework Governing Civil Liability for Nuclear Damage and for Preparedness and Response to Radiological emergencies of East Asia and the Pacific" held at Vienna from 22nd to 26th November 1999.
- Government?s Legal Expert to the Third East Asia and Pacific Training Workshop on "Development of a Legal Framework Governing the Safety of Radioactive Waste Management and the Safe Transport of Radioactive Material", Jakarta, Indonesia from 10 -14th April, 2000.
- Resource Person to the Meeting to explore issues relating to the development of a regime for liability and redress under Cartagena Protocol on Bio-safety organized by the Meridian Institute, Grottaferrata, Italy, 11- 13 September 2001.
- Panelist to the International Conference on International Law in the New Millennium organized by the India Society of International Law in New Delhi, 4-7 October, 2001.
- UNEP Legal Expert in the UNEP organized capacity building on Liability aspects of Biosafety Protocol in Mexico City, Mexico 2004.
Last Updated : 04-04-2014