Nunes William(Ph.D. (Political Science), M.Phil., M.A., B.A., UGC-NET)
Associate Professor of Political Science Phone : (+91) - 79-23276611/23276612
Mobile : (+91) -
Fax : (+91) - 79-23276613
Email : email@example.com
Conferences/ Seminar Attended / Participation / Papers Presented :
Conference(s) Attended / Participated:
- Participated at the Third International Conference on "Gujarat Model of Governance: Lesson & Future Scope" ICGS-2015 organised by Centre for Governance Systems, Gujarat Technological University, Ahmedabad in Collaboration with Yunnam Minzu University, Kunming, China 25-26 April, 2015 and Presented a paper (co-authored with Jagadeesh Chandra T G), entitled, 'The Gujarat Lokayukta: Need to Reform for Ensuring Transparency and Accountability n the Administration and for Upholding the Paramount Principle of Good Governance".
- Participated and was Faculty Convener in the International Conference on "India's Foreign Relations - Southeast Asia and the Indian Ocean: Strengthening the Political, Economic, Security and Cultural Prospects" organised, Gujarat National Law University and Indian Council of World Affairs, New Delhi, 12-13 September, 2014.
- Participated and was Faculty Convener in the National Seminar on "Changing Face of Arbitration: Seminar on International Arbitration Law" organised, Gujarat National Law University, 28-29 March, 2014.
- Participated in the National Conference on "Strengthening Participatory Democracy ad Good Governance" (Pre-Summit Event of the Vibrant Gujarat National Education Summit 2014 'Towards Educating Young India) organised by Centre for Constitutional and Administrative Law, Gujarat National Law University in Collaboration with 'Knowledge Consortium of Gujarat, Governmet of Gujarat, January 5, 2014 and Presented a paper (co-authored with Saurabh Anand), entitled, 'Marginalised Group and Participatory Democracy: A Study on Differently-abled people of India".
- Participated (on invitation) in the '2nd New Zealand-India Business Forum', organised by Gujarat Law Society's, N.R. Institute of Business Management and Institute of Business Research, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand, at Ahmedabad, December 14, 2013.
- Participated in Half Day Round Table Conference on "Addressing Child Malnutrition Issues in India: A Need of the Hour", organised by the Centre for Food Security and agro Economy, Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagr, 28th July, 2012.
- Participated in the First National Conference on International Relations, entitled 'Shifting Sands: India in the Changing Global Order, organised by the Public Diplomacy Division, Ministry of External Affairs and the Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi, from 22-23 October 2011.
- Participated in the 4th All Gujarat Law Teachers Training programme, jointly organised by Commissionerate of Higher Education, Education Department, Govt. of Gujarat and Gujarat National Law University, on 3rd September, 2011
- Participated in International Conference on Trade and Competition Law, Post-Doha Linkage Between International Trade and Competition: Policy and Practice of Developed and Developing World, organised by Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar, 5-6 March, 2011
- Participated in the 2nd All Gujarat Law Teachers Training programme, jointly organised by Commissionerate of Higher Education, Education Department, Govt. of Gujarat and Gujarat National Law University, on 15th February, 2011.
- Participated in the National Seminar on 'Emerging Issues in the Indian Legal Industry: The Road Ahead, organised by Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, on 5th September, 2010
- Participated in the Management Development Programme on Water Resource Management: Strategies and Practices, Institute of Rural Management, Anand, November 11-14, 2008.
- Participated in the National Seminar on "Structure and Dynamics of Indian Politics", organized by the Department of Political Science, The M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, 16 - 17 January, 2006.
- Participated in the National Seminar on 'Strategic Environment of South Asian States in the New Millennium', organized by the Department of Political Science, The M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, 18-19 March, 2005
- Participated in the National Seminar on 'Globalization and Indian State: Challenges and Opportunities', organized by the Department of Political Science, The M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, 27-28 March, 2004
- Participated in the Training Workshop for Election Survey, organized by CSDS, Delhi and Department of Political Science, M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, 20-21 November, 2002; also presented a paper on 'Research Methods and Field Realities: Problems and Approach'
- Participate in Workshop on, 'Issues Related to Development and Deprivation in Gujarat', organized by the Centre for Culture and Development, Vadodara, 14, July 2001.
- Participate in the Investigator Training Workshop for 'State and Society Project', organized by the Department of Political Science, M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, 27-28 February, 2001.
- Participated in the Training Workshop for Election Survey, organized by CSDS, Delhi and Department of Political Science, M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara, January, 1998.
Paper(s) Presented :
- Presented a paper, entitled, "Contextualizing Dr. Ambedkar's Annihilation of Caste in Contemporary Discourse of Distributive Justice in India?, at the National Seminar "The Contemporary Relevance of Social and Political Thought of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar" organised by Mahatma Gandhi Labour Institute, Ahmedabad, 19-20 March 2016.
- Participated in the Twentieth Conference of Gujarat Sociological Society, "Social Development in Gujarat and India: Retrospect and Prospect", organised by School of Social Science, Central University of Gujarat, Gandhinagar, January 19-20, 2013 and Presented a Paper entitled, "Development Paradigm in Gujarat: Myth or Reality".
- Participated in the 54th Annual Conference of the Indian Political Science Association, "Emerging Nature of Indian Politics", organised by the Department of Public Administration, University of Lucknow, December 28-30, 2011, and Presented a paper entitled, "What Makes Panchayati Raj Institution Accountable".
- Participated and Presented a paper on "Protecting Peoples' Health: An Assessment of Indo-US Cooperation" Seminar on Indo-US Relations: Nine Months Post President Obama Visit, Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagr, 21st August, 2011.
- Presented paper and research findings on the project, 'Adult Literacy through Television: The Jhabua Experiment, Gujarat Institute of Development Research, Ahmedabad and also at DECU, ISRO, Ahmedabad, February, 2000.
- Presented paper and research findings on the project, 'Innovative Non Formal Education: An Evaluation of Night School Project', Gujarat Institute of Development Research, Ahmedabad, May, 1999.
Training Programme / Workshop / Short-term courses :
Training Programme(s) Attended :
- Participated and successfully completed the One-Week Faculty Development Programme organised by Gujarat National Law University from 2-7 November, 2015
- Participated in the UGC Sponsored Refresher Course in Information and Communication Technology MD/All subjects), conducted by Academic Staff College, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad from 2nd June 2014 to 22nd June, 2014 and secured 'A' Grade.
- Completed Bridge Mediation LLC Training Programme and completed 40 hours of cross-cultural negotiation and mediation training and was awarded Special Honorary Certificate. (2012
- Participated in a half day Workshop, "Democracy in the Woods: The Politics of Institutional Change in India's Forest Region", VIKSAT, Nehru Foundation for Development, Ahmedabad, 20th June, 2011.
- Participated in the UGC Sponsored 67th Orientation Programme, conducted by Academic Staff College, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad from 15th November to 12th December, 2010 and obtained 'A' Grade.
WorkShop Attended / Short-Term Courses :
- Participated in the Capacity Building Workshop on 'Role of Legal Stakeholders in Strengthening and the Implementation of the Biological Diversity Act with Special Focus on ABS Provisions', organised by Gujarat National Law University through the National Project on Access and Benefit Sharing under the United National Environment programme-Global Environment Facility, Ministry of Environment and Forests (UNEP-GEF-MoEF) Project with the cooperation of National Biodiversity Authority and in partnership with Gujarat Biodiversity Board, 27th September, 2014.
Publication(s) / Book(s) :
Publication / Books:
- Bimal N Patel , Aruna Kumar Malik and William Nunes, (Editors); Indian Ocean And Maritime Security: Competition, Cooperation And Threat, Routledge, London & New York, 2017
- Book William Nunes, Aruna Kumar Mallik & Ravi Saxena: "Political Science I", LexisNexis, India, 2016 (ISBN: 978-93-5143-702-4)
- "Security Dilemma of Sri Lanka: A Conceptual Analysis", Ruby Press, New Delhi, 2013 (ISBN: 978-93-82395-02-7)
- Aruna Kumar Malik and William Nunes, Revisiting Maritime Security in The Indian Ocean: A Note on Current Scenario in Bimal N Patel , Aruna Kumar Malik and William Nunes (Eds.) Indian Ocean And Maritime Security: Competition, Cooperation and Threat, Routledge, London & New York, 2017
- William Nunes and Swagat Baruah, The Indian Animal Farm: Analysis of the AAM Aadmi Party, Asian Journal of Academic Studies, Volume 1 Issue 2, November 2016 (Link:http://ajas.asia/uploads/42684.1220815509Prof.%20William%20Nunes%20&%20Swagat%20Baruah_FULLPAPER.pdf)
- William Nunes and Ningthoujam Koiremba Singh, Nontraditional Security: Redefining State-centric Outlook, Jadavpur Journal of International Relations, Sage Publication, Vol. 20, Issue 1, 2016, pp.102-124. (Link:http://jnr.sagepub.com/content/20/1/102.abstract)
- Working Paper: "Emerging Golden Era of Indo-Japanese Bilateral Relations" GNLU Centre for Foreign Policy and Security Studies, Working Paper No.1, October, 2013
- Co-authored with Ningthoujam Koiremba Singh. "Drug Trafficking and Narco-terrorism as Security Threats: A Study of India's North-east", India Quarterly: A Journal of International Affairs, March 2013 69: 65-82
- "Democratic Explosion: A Clarion Call for Reforms", The Colloquium, March 23, 2011, Vol. II, Issue 1. Url: www.thecolloquium.net
- "Contending Framework for Foreign Policy Analysis": An Appraisal, The Indian Journal of Political Science, Vol. LXVIII, No. 2, April-June, 2007.
- "Structural Adjustment Programme and Privatisation in Sri Lanka," Asian Women Workers Newsletter, October, 2004
- "Folk-Songs, Politics and Change: A Tribute Pete Seeger" February, 2014 Url: www.thecolloquium.net (Link:http://www.thecolloquium.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=307:folk-songs-politics-and-change-a-tribute-pete-seeger&catid=53:bio-pick&Itemid=90)
Books Reviewed / Edited :
- Book Reviewed, Nikita Sud, "Liberalization, Hindu Nationalism and the State: A Biography of Gujarat", Oxford, 2012, GNLU Journal of Law Development and Politics, Gandhinagar, Vol.4, No. 2, (ISSN:0975-0193)
- Broadcast Interview: Upadhayaya Venus, "Modi to Face Xi Jinping on Stronger Political Turf", Epoch Times, New York, September 11, 2014, P.A09. (Print and E Paper)
- Broadcast Interview: Upadhayaya Venus, "Conflicts on China-India Border Foreshadow Xi Jinping's Visit", Epoch Times, New York, September 16, 2014, P.A09. (Print and E Paper)
- Broadcast Interview: Upadhayaya Venus, "Behind the Scenes of Xi Jinping's Visit to India", Epoch Times, New York, September 24, 2014, P.A09. (Print and E Paper)
- Book: Co-authored Book, entitled "Indo-US Relations: Special Reference to Post Obama Visit", Centre for Foreign Policy and Security Studies, Gujarat National Law Univerisity, Gandhinagar, 2012 (ISBN: 978-81-910389-4-1)
- Book Review, Altered States: The Globalization of Accountability, by Valerie Sperling, Cambridge and New York, Cambridge University Press 2009, Odisa Political Science Journal, Vol. XVIII, No.1, December 2011, pp. 327-330.
Research / Area of Interest :
Areas of General Interest:
- South Asia - Security Studies
- Indian Foreign Policy
- Government and Politics
- Political Theory
- Life Members (JAIRLM 416) of The Jadavpur Association of International Relations
- Nominated as an Editorial Advisory Board Member of 'Abhinav' National Monthly Refereed Journal of Research, for a period of two years. (URL: www.abhinavjournal.com)
- Life Member (2184) Indian Political Science Association.
- Visiting Lecturer at the Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad from January to April 2008.
- Member on the board of Examination for Political Science, at The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara.
- Member on the board of Examination for Political Science, at the Institute of Law, Nirma University, Ahmedabad
Research Projects / Article Papers
- PROJECTS UNDERTAKEN:
- Documentation of Maritime Heritage Sites of Coastal Gujarat, Vasant J. Seth Memorial Foundation, Mumbai, January, 2003
- Impact Evaluation & Implementation on Word Bank and IFAD Assisted RWDEP (Swa Shakti Project); August, 2002 to December, 2002
- Concurrent Monitoring and Evaluation of the Swa Shakti Project (8th Round) Gujarat State; A project supported by the Word Bank and IFAD and assisted by RWDEP September, 2000 to January, 2001
- Innovative Non-Formal Education in India : An Evaluation of Night School Projects for Working Children, September 1998 to February 1999.
- Oilseeds and Pulses in Indian Agriculture : A Review of Changing Policy Regime and Responses, February 1999 to May 1999.
- Promoting Adult Literacy through Television : Study of the Jhabua Experiment, May 1999 to June 2000.
- Study of Drought Prone affected Districts of India, June 2000 to August 2000.
- Pre and Post Election Survey, Gujarat State, (1998), Centre for Studies of Developing Society, New Delhi. January - May 1998
- PROJECTS REPORTS COMPLETED:
- Concurrent Monitoring and Evaluation Swa Shakti Project (8th Round) Gujarat State; Submitted to GWEDC, Gandhinagar.
- State Level Implementation Completion Report: Swa Shakti Project, Gujarat State; Submitted to the World Bank, IFAD and GWEDC.
- Impact Evaluation Report on Word Bank and IFAD Assisted RWDEP (Swa Shakti Project); Submitted to GWEDC, Gandhinagar.
- Report on Cluster Vision Development Training; Submitted to GWDEC, Gandhinagar, January, 2001.
- Promoting Adult Literacy through Television: Study of the Jhabua Experiment, June 2000.
- Innovative Non-Formal Education in India: An Evaluation of Night School Projects for Working Children, February 1999.
Awards Received / Achievements :
- GNLU Best Faculty Award (Non-Law) for the Year 2012-2013
- Awarded the University Research Scholarship, The M.S. University of Baroda, for the academic years 2003 - 04 to 2005-06
- Ford Foundation for the year 1995-1996.
- UGC National Merit Scholarship for the year 1992-1994.
Other Accomplishments :
- Participated in the Panel discussion conducted by Ahmedabad Mirror : Election Gurus Mandate 2009. The discussion was held on 18/05/2009 to analyse the 2009 Lok Sabha election results and its implication on the country
- Participated in the Debate on 'Jan Lokpal Bill' conducted by Divya Bhaskar, Gandhinagar, on 26th August, 2011.
Last Updated : 09-01-2017