Conferences/ Seminar Attended / Participation / Papers Presented :
Seminar(s) Attended / Participated:
- National Symposium on "Social Psychology of Health: current Trends and Issues in India", as a part of XXth Annual Convention of National Academy of Psychology(NAOP), JNU,New Delhi, 12th-15th December,2010.
- Organized a National Seminar at the Department of Psychology, M. S. University of Baroda, on Health Psychology and Behavioural Medicine with a sub theme on HIV/AIDS., March 7-8, 2005.
- Psychology - Industry Interface' , Under the auspices of Department of Psychology, M.S.University, Vadodara, 24th November 1998.
Paper(s) Presented :
- Social Psychology of Health: Trends and Issues in India. At XXth Annual Convention of National Academy of Psychology(NAOP), JNU,New Delhi, 12th-15th December,2010.
- Biswas, U. N., and Tsering, Y. (2010). Effectiveness of life skills intervention on psychosocial parameters among Tibetan school adolescents. IAAP Division 3 Psychology and Societal Development International Congress of Applied Psychology 2010 (ICAP 2010), 11 - 16 July 2010, being held at the Melbourne.
- Hypnotherapeutic Interventions and the Framework of Positive Psychology. Invited special lecture at UGC sponsored National Seminar on "Positive Psychology and Health Interventions and strategies" held at Department of Psychology under DRS(II), M. D. University, Rothak, Haryana, (March, 28-29).
- The role of gender schema in understanding self, others, and the leadership attributes of male and female leaders. Invited lecture at "International conference on Gender Development in the World of Work" held at Bundelkhand University, Jhansi (March, 25-27).
- Perception of Organizational Health, Organizational Stress and Commitment across Different Sectors in the Era of Global Meltdown. At UGC sponsored National Conference on "Well-being in the Work Place Search for Synergy" held at Government College,Sector-11, Chandigarh on 25th March.
- Biswas, U. N., Roy. S., and Patel, D. Mental Health Awareness and Prevalence of Mental Health Disorders among Primary Health Care Seekers of Vadodara: A survey. Paper presented at UGC sponsored National Seminar on Mental Health and Human Rights, held at the Faculty of Social Work from 27th to 28th February, 2009.
- At the 7th National Conference of Hypnotherapy The Therapy for New Millenium, held at The M.S.University of Baroda, Vadodara from 9th to 11th January, 2009.
- Biswas, U. N., and Gupta, A. V.(2009). Clinical Hypnotherapy as an Effective Intervention Strategy to Affect Coping Strategies and Locus of health Control in people living with HIV/AIDS.
- Biswas, U. N., and Gupta, A. V. (2009). Positive Thought Therapy and Psycho-immunology of People Living with HIV/AIDS.
- Biswas, U. N., Palan, B. M., and Kacker, P. (2009). Mind Programming as a tool to enhance Socio-cognitive Abilities A Study of School-going Adolescents.
- At 16th National Academy of Psychology (NAOP) Conference, held at IIT Bombay, Mumbai, December(14th-16th)..Biswas, U. N., and Biswas, S. N. Spirituality, Religiousity, Workmotivation: Exploring the Relationship.Psycho-neuro-immunology and HIV/AIDS: The Framework of Research.
- The role of clinical hypnotherapy in the psycho-neuro-immunomodulation of HIV/AIDS. At National Seminar on Psychophysiology of Wellbeing, held at Dept.of Psychology, M.D. University, Rothak, Haryana,March(28-29).
- At IVth International Congress on Women, Work, and Health held in New Delhi, November (27-30): Mental health and coping strategies among working and nonworking women. Biswas, U. N., and Johri, G. (2005). Crime against Women: A profile of Gujarat.
- Taustch, N., Singh, P., Ghosh, E. S. K., Stwstone, M., and Biswas, U. N. (2004). A tale of two cities: Cross-community contact and its relation to different groups of Hindu and Muslim in a peaceful and riot-prone cities of India. In Society for Psychological Studies of Social Issues convention held on June 25-26, 2004, Washington D. C., USA.
- Taustch, N., Singh, P., Ghosh, E.s K., Stwstone, M., and Biswas, U. N. (2004). Cross community contact between Hindu and Muslims in a peaceful and a riotprone city of India: Effect on anxiety, threat perception & prejudice. In Inter-University Graduate Students Conference held at Cambridge: MA, May 22, 2004.
- National Conference on Behavioural Medicine held in the Department of clinical psychology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore (July 15-17, 2004). Biswas, U. N., and Kapadia, B. C. (2004). The neuro-endocrinology of stress, & bronchial asthma: Hypnotherapy as a tool of management. Biswas, U. N., Kapadia, B. C., and Vyas, R. (2004). Psycho-neuroimmunology, pathways in pathogenesis & reversal of immune disorder.
- Biswas, U. N., Gupta, D. (2004). Perceived stress, quality of work life, and subjective well being among Gujarat police personnel. At XV Annual Convention of the National Academy of Psychology (NAOP) held in Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur February (27-29),2004.
- Biswas, U. N. (2003). Being emotionally and spiritually intelligent: Does it help in improving quality of life of HIV Positive individuals and drug addicts. At 7th International and 38th National Conference of Indian association of Applied Psychology held in the Department of Psychology, J. N. V. University Jodhpur.
- Biswas, U. N. (2001). A Psycho-cultural analysis of trauma and coping of earthquake: a case of Gujarat. At 17th Annual Meeting of The International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies held in New Orleans, Lousiana (USA) December 6-9, 2001.
- Biswas, U. N. (2002). A comparative study of professionals working, nonprofessional working, and non-working women across mental health, and coping strategies. Conference on Women and stress held in the Department of Psychology, Mohanlal Sukhadia University, Udaipur (Nov. 23-24).
- Biswas, U. N. (2000). Sexuality and health: perceived constraints and coping strategies among out-of-school adolescents. At XI Annual Conference of National Academy of Psychology held in the Department of Psychology, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam.
- Biswas, U. N. (1998). Ecological worldview of students in professional and non-professional degree courses. First Annual Conference on Management of Environment: Challenges and strategies, January (11- 2), Vadodara.
- Biswas, U. N. (1997). A comparative profile of scheduled caste, scheduled tribe and upper caste individuals on proeconomic attitudes, beliefs and values. Paper presented at 2nd ASIAN and 33rd IAAP International conference February (26-28), held at Hardwar.
- At XXVI International Congress of Psychology held at Montreal, August (16-21), Canada. Biswas, U. N., & Biswas, S. N. (1996). Effect of Cultural and Caste on Pro-economic attitudes: A cross-cultural study. Biswas, U. N. (1996). Proeconomic attitudes, belief and awareness of socio-economically mobile and immobile caste and tribal groups.
- Biswas, U. N. (1996). Effect of goal setting behaviour and economic efficacy expectation on socio-economic mobility. AT 1st ASIAN and XXXII Congress of Psychology, held at the department of Psychology, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh.
- Biswas, U. N., and Pandey, J. (1991). Perception of Socio-economic status of mobile and immobile caste groups. Annual Convention of NAOP, held at the Department of Psychology, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- Biswas, U.N. (1989). Indigenisation of the concept of happiness in Indian context. UGC sponsored National Conference on Indigestion in Psychology, Held at the Department of Psychology, Allahabad University, Allahabad.
- Biswas, U.N. (1988). Psycho-socio parameters of learned helplessness. Indian Science C Congress held at Pune.
Training Programme / Workshop / Short-term courses :
WorkShop Attended / Short-Term Courses :
- A series of workshops on "Stress Management through Hypnotherapy", were conducted for the students and staff members of Roehampton University, London, UK., September and October,2006.
- Workshop on Hypnosis and Clinical application held on 17th July 2004 in the National Conference on Behavioural Medicine held in the Department of clinical psychology, National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore., July 15-17, 2004.
- Workshop on 'Effective Communication Skills' on behalf of Association of Stress Research and Management (ASRAM), April (14-15), 1999
- Workshop on 'Scientific Writing: for Research Scholars and Young Teachers, held in in Department of Psychology, M.S.University, Vadodara, January (4-5), 1997
Publication(s) / Book(s) :
Publication / Books:
- Biswas, U. N., Vogele, C., Roy, S., and Phukan, A.(2009). Module on mental health assessment and first-aid. Module developed under UKIERI, British Council Grant (2007-2008), submitted to UKIERI, British Council.
- Biswas, U. N., and Gupta, A (2008). The effect of positive thought induction and relaxation on disease progression in people living with HIV/AIDS. Report submitted to Centre of Thoughtronics Studies, The M.S.University of Baroda, Vadodara.
- Biswas, S. N., Biswas, U. N. (2006). Spirituality , religiosity, and motivation: Exploring the relationships. IRMA Working Paper Series No. 194.
- Biswas, S. N., and Biswas, U. N. (2001). Legitimising leadership: A framework for institutional leadership. IRMA working Paper Series No. 160.
- Daftuar, C. N., and Biswas, U. N. (2000). A study of sexuality and Health seeking Behaviour among out-of-school adolescents. Small Research Grants Report No. 13 (Ford Foundation award No. 0940-1148) Population Council India.
- Biswas, U. N., and Shetty, A. (1998). Module on personnel management: Self-learning modules for school principals, Education Department, HRD Division, Commonwealth Secretariat: London.
- Sarswathi, T. S., Radhika, S., and Biswas, U.N. (1995). Women, work and childcare: The need for options. Working Paper 13, Women Household Studies Information Centre, MS University, Baroda (Mimeo).
- Biswas, S. N., and Biswas, U. N. (1995). Impact of cultural and caste on pro-economic attitudes and beliefs: A study across cultures with uneven development. IRMA Working Paper No. 72, Institute of Rural Management, Anand.
Research / Area of Interest :
Areas of General Interest:
- Applied Social Psychology
- Organization Behaviour Health Psychology
- Co-Convener of Social Psychology Branch, National Academy of Psychology (NAOP)- India.
- Member, National Academy of Psychology (NAOP)-India
- Life Member, Indian Association of Applied Psychology (IAAP), India.
- Founder Member of Association of Stress Research and management (ASRAM).
Research Projects / Article Papers
- Biswas, U. N. (1986). Psychosocial Parameters of Learned Helplessness among Children. Dissertation submitted towards partial fulfilment for the award of the degree of Master of Arts, Department of Psychology, Utkal University, Bhubaneswar.
- Biswas, U. N. (1993). Psychosocial Parameters of Economic Mobility and Poverty among Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe, and General Caste People. Dissertation submitted towards partial fulfilment for the award of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Department. of Psychology, Allahabad University, Allahabad.
- Biswas, U. N. (1996). Effect of Family Ecology and Economic Mobility on the Psychosocial development of Children, UGC Post-doctoral Research Fellowship 1995-96, Sardar.Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar.
- International Projects: Biswas, U. N. (In Progress)). Mental health needs in vulnerable populations in Gujarat State,Project Sponsored by UK India Education Research Initiative (UKIERI) as a part of the collaborative programme delivery of a
- short term course on Professional Development for Mental Health Awareness in collaboration with the Roehampton University, London.
- International Projects: Taustch, N., Singh, P., Ghosh, E. S. K., Stwstone, M., Biswas, U. N. (2004). Inter-group contact and threat perception: A study f Hindu and Muslim communities of India. A collaborative project undertaken by Allahabad University and Oxford University. Report submitted to Oxford University, 2004.
- International Projects: Biswas, U. N., and Daftuar, C. N. (2000). A study of sexuality and health seeking behaviour among out-of-school adolescents in Anand slums (with special focus on HIV/AIDS, STI, and RTI). University- Dept.of Psychology, The M.S.University of Baroda, Vadodara. Scheme Under-Minor Research Grant (under the Terms of Award No. I99.O1F), Scheme
- Sponsered by-Population Council, New York, 2000.
- National Projects: Biswas, U. N. (2009). Perception of Organizational Health, Stress and Safety among the Employees of Gujarat Refinery. A Survey Commissioned by Gujarat Refinery, Vadodara, 2009.
- National Projects: Biswas,U.N., Gupta,A. (2008). Effect of Positive Thought Therapy on Progression of Disease in People living with HIV/AIDS. University-Centre of Thoughtronics Studies, the M. S. University of Baroda, Funded by - Home Ministry, Gujarat State Government, 2008.
- National Projects: Khasgiwala, A., Rawal, I., Biswas, U. N., Sharma, M., Mehta, B., Nanavati, D. (2006). Monitoring and evaluation of voluntary counselling and testing centres of Gujarat. Project report submitted to Gujarat State AIDS Control
- Society. Scheme Sponsored by - Gujarat State AIDS Control Society, Gujarat.
- National Projects: Johri, G. and Biswas, U.N. (2004). Organizational performance of police personnel: An impact analysis. Sponsored by Home Ministry, Gujarat.
- National Projects: Biswas, U. N. (2002). A study of stressors, coping strategies, self and collective efficacy, sense of empowerment among women entrepreneur: Precursors to sustainable development. University- Department of Psychology, The M. S. University of Baroda, Scheme Under-UGC Minor Research Project Grant of UGC, 2002.
- National Projects: Saraswathi, T. S., Radhika, S., and Biswas, U. N. (1995). Women, work, and childcare: The need for options. University Department of Human Development and Family Studies, the M. S. University of Baroda (Scheme Under-DRS, cheme Sponsored by UGC).
Teaching / Academic Experience :
- Commonwealth Academic Staff Fellow, placed at Roehampton University, London, UK, September 2006 to March, 2007.
- Reader, Department of Psychology, the M. S. University of Baroda since August, 2000.
- Lecturer, Department of Psychology, the MS University of Baroda, July 1996 to May 2000.
- UGC Research Associate (Postdoctoral Fellow), Department of Psychology, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar May 1995 to June 1996.
- Research Associate in the UGC-DSA Programme, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Faculty of Home Science, the MS University of Baroda April - July 1994 and Nov. 1994 - April 1995.
- Lecturer, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, Faculty of Home science, the MS University of Baroda, July 1994, to October 1994.
- UGC Senior Research Fellow (NET), Department of Psychology, University of Allahabad, August 1989 to August 1992.
- UGC Junior Research Fellow (NET), Department of Psychology, University of Allahabad, August 1987 to August 1989.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D) in Psychology, Allahabad University
- Master of Arts (Psychology), Utkal University
- Bachelor of Arts (Psychology Honours and Statistics), Utkal University
- PG Diploma in Clinical and Applied Hypnotherapy, M. S. University of Baroda
Awards Received / Achievements :
- Collaborative Delivery Award for short term course development under UKIERI scheme of British Council (2007).
- Recipient of the best research paper award in the International Seminar of Indian Association of Applied Psychology held in Jodhpur during October 11-13, 2003.
- Recipient of Hari Om Ashram award for the best inter-university research paper in psychology, during the year 1999-2000.
- Awarded Minor Research Project Grant by Population Council, New York in 1999.
- Invited as a resource person in Advanced Research Training Seminar (ARTS) held at Sherbrooke (Canada) on 'Mediational Learning for Children' by the International Union of Psychological Sciences, during August 21-23, 1996.
Other Accomplishments :
- Membership in the Examination Panel/ Board of Studies
- M.S.University, Udaipur, Rajsthan
- Banasthali University, Rajsthan
- M.D. University, Rothak, Haryana
- J.N.V.University,Jodhpur, Rajsthan
- Ipcowala Institute of Management, Changa
- Convenor, Professional Certificate Course on Mental Health Assessment delivered jointly by the M. S. University of Baroda and Roehampton University, UK.
- Coordinator, Post-graduate Diploma in Human Resource Development
- Chair, Research Seminar Committee
- Member, Faculty level committee for Annual Report
Last Updated : 09-04-2014